The Abbazia di San Bartolomeo was founded in the 11th century as a Romanesque church, built on the foundations of a Roman villa and a pagan temple. It had a rectangular ground plan, a main nave and a secondary nave with an oak roof, as well as a bell tower. On the outside it had typical Romanesque features: exposed brickwork, hanging arches and decorated stone portals.
In the first half of the 19th century, the original structure was demolished and rebuilt in Neoclassical style to a design by engineer Roncalli. The new church features a rectangular cross-in-square plan, barrel vault, central dome, semicircular apse and walnut choir. The interior is embellished with paintings by master Luigi Fontana, stucco work by his pupil Niccolò Achilli, and the splendid 1881 Vincenzo Paci pipe organ, restored through the efforts of the San Bartolomeo Choir.
Next to the church, the rectory houses the striking “Hall of Coats of Arms,” entirely decorated with views of the village and portraits of the successive commendatory abbots from 1564 to the present.
